The Manga Taisho Award (also known as the Manga Grand Prize) is an annual event held in Japan since 2008, attributed to the manga industry. The prizes are awarded by a special committee made up of eighty-nine members from different specialized bookstores. Recently and during a live broadcast, Tokyo Manga Reviewers revealed the results of this year's edition.
This year's edition was won by the manga written and illustrated by Naoya Matsumoto, Kaijuu 8-gou (Monster # 8), which has been published through Shueisha publisher's Shonen Jump Plus service since July 2020. The publisher has published a total of two compiled volumes to date.
Resultados de Premio Manga Taisho 2021
- Kaijuu 8-gou (Monster #8), por Naoya Matsumoto.
- Sousou no Frieren, por Kanehito Yamada y Tsukasa Abe.
- Chi – Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite, por Uoto.
- Onna no Sono no Hoshi, por Yama Wayama.
- Kowloon Generic Romance, por Jun Mayuzuki.
- Karaoke Iko!, por Yama Wayama.
- Oshi no Ko, por Aka Akasaka y Mengo Yokoyari.
- Manshuu Ahen Squad, por Monma Tsukasa y Shikako.
- My Broken Mariko, por Hirako Waka.
- Go Happy Mania, por Anno Moyoco.
- Teigaki-sei otto no Kodzukai Banzai – Getsugaku 2 man senen no Kinketsu Raifu, por Kouji Yoshimoto.
- War’s Unwomanly Face, por Svetlana Alesiévitch y Keito Koume.
- Munou no Taka, por Asami Hanzaki.
- Boukyou Tarou por Yoshihiro Yamada.
- This Croc will Die in 100 Days, por Yuuki Kikuchi.
- Mathematics Golden, por Tatsuhiko Kuramaru.
- Funsou deshitara Hatta made, por Den Motohiro.
- Medalist, por Ikada Tsuruma.
- Kimi no Koto ga Dai Dai Dai Dai Daisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo, por Rikitio Nakamura y Yukiko Nozawa.
- Me & Roboco, por Shuuhei Miyazaki.
Kaijuu 8-gou Synopsis
Grotesque Godzilla-like monsters called "kaijuu" have been popping up in Japan for many years. To combat these beasts, an elite military unit known as the Defense Corps risks their lives every day to protect civilians. Once a creature dies, the "sweepers", who work under the Kaijuu Professional Cleaning Corporation, stay behind to dispose of its remains. 32-year-old Kafka Hibino is not satisfied with his job as a sweeper. From a young age, he has aspired to join the Defense Corps and kill kaijuus for a living. However, after a few unsuccessful attempts, he gave up his dreams and resigned himself to the mediocrity that earned him a decent salary. However, when an ambitious 18-year-old recruit named Leno Ichikawa joins his cleaning crew, Kafka remembers once again his desire to join the army.After a chain of unfortunate events and an interaction with the young street sweeper, Kafka is he encounters a parasite-type kaijuu that makes its way through his mouth, turning him into a humanoid monster. With his newfound powers, Kafka aims to give his lifelong dream one last shot.
Source: WSJ Manga