A thread of posts on Twitter recently became quite popular when it pointed out that the character Mami Nanami, from Kanojo's animated adaptation, Okarishimasu (Rent A Girlfriend), has 9,929 favorites on the MyAnimeList platform, being then one of the characters with the most favorites in 2020 overall.
As previously mentioned, Mami is the character with the most favorites in her own animated adaptation, since the other female protagonists have the following amounts (they could vary depending on the time of consultation):
- Mami Nanami - 9,929 favorites.
- Chizuru Ichinose - 7,299 favorites.
- Sumi Sakurasawa - 2,163 favorites.
- Ruka Sarashina - 2,081 favorites.
But things do not stop there, since Mami is even more popular in MyAnimeList than some other protagonists of successful series (not counting sequels) released in 2020, for example, she surpasses the following characters:
- Tsukasa “Tsukuyomi Tsukasa” Yuzaki from Tonikaku Kawaii (TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You) - 4,384 favorites.
- Endorsi Jahad from Tower of God (Kami no Tou) - 2,305 favorites.
- Katarina Claes from Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta (My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!) - 1,101 favorites.
- Jujutsu Kaisen's Nobara Kugisaki - 1,285 favorites.
- Elaina "The Ashen Witch" by Majo no Tabitabi (Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina) - 7,489 favorites.
- Maple by Itai no wa Iya nano by Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu (BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense.) - 1,065 favorites.
- Sayaka Kanamori from Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! (Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!) - 1,374 favorites.
- Hana Uzaki from Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! (Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!) - 1,031 favorites.
Synopsis of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Kazuya Kinoshita is a 20-year-old college student who has a wonderful girlfriend: the brilliant Mami Nanami. But suddenly, not anymore. Without warning, Mami breaks up with him, leaving him heartbroken and lonely. Seeking to ease his pain, he hires a rented girlfriend through an online application. His partner is Chizuru Mizuhara, who through her incomparable beauty and cute demeanor, manages to win Kazuya's affection.But after reading similar experiences from other clients Chizuru had had, Kazuya is sure that her caring personality and warmth smiles were just an act to play with her heart, and she rates it badly. Aggravated, Chizuru criticizes him for her shameless hypocrisy, revealing her true temperal personality. However, this one-sided exchange is interrupted when Kazuya discovers that his grandmother has collapsed. They rush to the hospital and find Kazuya's grandmother already in good condition. Puzzled by Chizuru's presence, Grandma asks who this girl could be. On impulse, Kazuya introduces her as her real girlfriend, forcing Chizuru to play the role of her. But with Kazuya still anchored to Mami, how long can this difficult client and the reluctant rental girlfriend be able to carry on with his performance?
© 宮 島 礼 吏 ・ 講 談 社 ／ 「彼女 、 お 借 り し ま す」 製作 委員会