The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recently revealed that the following Japanese animation productions have been submitted for consideration for the 93rd Academy Awards:
- Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen, based on the manga written and illustrated by Koyoharu Gotouge.
- Aya to Majo (Earwig and the Witch), produced by Studio Ghibli and Goro Miyazaki.
- Lupine III THE FIRST, based on the manga written and illustrated by Monkey Punch.
- Ongaku (On-Gaku: Our Sound), produced by Kenji Iwaisawa.
- Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara (Ride Your Wave), produced by Masaaki Yuasa.
- Nakitai Watashi wa Neko wo Kaburu (A Whisker Away), produced by Junichi Sato and Tomotaka Shibayama.
A maximum of five films from the full list of eligible films may be nominated in the "Animated Feature Film" category. The Academy will announce the nominees on March 15. On the other hand, Hollywood Reporter columnist Scott Feinberg published his award forecast for the category, placing Aya to Majo as "a great threat" to the "usual winners", while Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen, Ongaku and Lupine III THE FIRST were considered as “possibilities”. Feinberg did not include any of these films among his favorites for this category.
Finally, the celebration of the ninety-third edition of the Academy Awards will take place on April 25, after having been delayed for two weeks due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the planning of the event.
© 2021 Penske Business Media, LLC. All Rights reserved.