The Japanese portal Yaraon! published the ranking of accumulated sales in the year 2020 in Japan, with the manga written and illustrated by Koyoharu Gotouge, Kimetsu no Yaiba, completely dominating by a difference of more than 889%. With its 80,084,936 copies sold accumulated this year, the work has set a new record, leaving behind the one set by the manga written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda, One Piece, in 2011, which was 37,996,373 copies sold.
2020 cumulative annual sales ranking
- Kimetsu no Yaiba, escrito e ilustrado por Koyoharu Gotouge – 80,084,936 copias vendidas.
- Kingdom, escrito e ilustrado por Yasuhisa Hara – 8,091,788 copias vendidas.
- One Piece, escrito e ilustrado por Eiichiro Oda, 7,252,712 copias vendidas.
- Haikyuu!!, escrito e ilustrado por Haruichi Furudate – 7,051,087 copias vendidas.
- Yakusoku no Neverland, escrito por Kaiu Shirai e ilustrado por Posuka Demizu – 6,253,735 copias vendidas.
- Gotoubun no Hanayome, escrito e ilustrado por Negi Haruba – 6,024,552 copias vendidas.
- Jujutsu Kaisen, escrito e ilustrado por Gege Akutami – 5,858,672 copias vendidas.
- Boku no Hero Academia, escrito e ilustrado por Kohei Horikoshi – 5,794,423 copias vendidas.
- SPY x FAMILY, escrito e ilustrado por Tatsuya Endo – 4,414,014 copias vendidas.
- Shingeki no Kyojin, escrito e ilustrado por Hajime Isayama – 3,730,573 copias vendidas.
Koyoharu Gotouge began the publication of the manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in February 2016 and ended it in May 2020. The publisher published the twenty-first compiled volume on July 3 in Japan, and the twenty-second on October 2.
Synopsis of Kimetsu no Yaiba
In the Taisho era in Japan, Tanjiro Kamado is a kind and intelligent boy who lives with his family in the mountains. Tanjiro has become the head of his family after the death of his father, making constant trips to the village at the foot of the mountain to sell firewood and charcoal, but his life changes when one day, when he returns home later. After spending a night out, he discovers that his family has been killed by a demon. Tanjiro and his sister Nezuko are the only survivors now, but he has been turned into a demon, although surprisingly he still displays emotions and seems to have a sense of reason. After an encounter with Giyuu Tomioka, a demon hunter; Tanjiro decides to become a demon hunter to hunt down his family's killer and find a way to return Nezuko to normal.
© 吾 峠 呼 世 晴 (著) / SHUEISHA 集 英 社