NHK World Japan, the international service of Japan's public broadcaster, NHK, revealed a new promotional image for the animated adaptation of the manga written and illustrated by Aiko Koyama, Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san (Makanai in the Maiko Lodge) .
The series has its premiere scheduled for February 25 in Japan and will have a total of twelve episodes. It will later be broadcast on NHK's E-tele channel in Fall-2021 (October-December). Koyama has published the manga in Shogakukan's Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine since December 2016. The publisher published the thirteenth compiled volume in March 2020.
Cast of voices
- Kana Hanazawa as Kiyo, a 16-year-old girl who works as a cook at the "Maiko House."
- Mao Ichimichi as Sumire, Kiyo's childhood friend. Both came to Kyoto to become maikos.
- Minami Takayama as Kente, Kiyo and Sumire's childhood friend who attends high school in Aomori.
- Satsumi Matsuda as Tsurukoma, an older maiko who lives in the "Maiko House".
- Kaoru Katakai as Okaa-san, the head of the “Maiko House” and leader of the maiko.
- Rikiya Koyama as Onii-san, the "Otokoshi", a professional male helper who assists the maiko.
- Youhei Suzuki (UQ Holder!) Is directing the anime at J.C. STAFF Studios.
- Susumu Yamakawa (Back Street Girls, Gokushufudō) is in charge of writing and supervising the scripts.
- Gou Sakabe (Digimon Adventure Tri, Date A Live) is in charge of the composition of the soundtrack.
Synopsis of Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san
Inside the streets of the geisha district of Kyoto, lives a 16-year-old girl named Kiyo. After failing the test to become a "Maiko", a geisha apprentice, she will start working as the local cook. This is the story of her daily life.
Source: Comic Natalie
© 小山 愛 子 • 小学 館 / NHK